After helping Logan organize his new place this past weekend, I realized I as well could not only use a little “spring cleaning,” but some “spring sprucing” as well. My Manhattan apartment is comfortable, no doubt, but there are definitely some ways I could freshen it up to give it some new life during its few remaining months under my care.
Here are a few of my “spring sprucing” tips:
1. Refill your picture frames. While this could simply mean adding new pictures, this could also be an opportunity to cut out an image from a magazine/calendar, etc that inspires you. I currently have a few black and white images from my favorite Vogue photographer that sadly I don’t have the heart to replace – they’re just too beautiful!
2. Switch up your chatskis. Being as I currently live in an apartment, I can’t actually use a door knocker, but come on, how cute is this one? Any fun or whimsical objects from my roommates’ or my travels are always welcome to bring some personality to our space.
3. Throw on a throw. Say goodbye to your increasingly average couch. A colorful throw blanket adds an instant dash of color and doubles as a convertible blanket for those chilly spring nights.
4. Add a new focal point. And what better than a bar cart? Classic and useful, I usually partial to my friend Roxy’s gorgeous designs, but if you are already pushing your budget, the one below is actually from Target! #AddToCart
5. Break it up… a monotone color palate, that is. Note the stripped plush set and charger – how delightful would it be to break up a space with either of these eye catching accent pieces?
6. Upgrade your doormat. Doormats are essential for New York City residents. Or really anywhere. While I grew up with the same dull motifs or colors, I get a kick now out of the ones boasting funny phrases or sayings.
7. Go green. It’s finally spring, so why not add some fresh flowers or invest in this terrific topiary that is as easy to care for as it is beautiful?
8. Catch the clutter. I’m not Type A in the least bit, but I do like to store things to keep things looking neat and organized. Woven baskets and decorative boxes are great for holding anything from blankets and towels to jewelry and art supplies.
9. Spice up your space. Like doormats, I admire cheeky sayings in unexpected places – especially pillow talk. If you don’t want to spend the money on a new pillow, it’s easy to look on Etsy or a number of other home decor websites to find pillow covers, too.
What do you do to freshen up your home after winter? Tips and details, please.
1. In need of some inspiration? Check out Forbe’s 2013 list of the World’s Most Powerful Women. Jenna Lyons, J.Crew’s president and artistic director, is on the radar for 2014!
3. Not having time to work out is not an excuse anymore: The Scientific 7-Minute Workout.
5. If you’re traveling this Memorial Day Weekend, there’s no excuse not to carry a cheeky tote.
6. Celebrate the unofficial start of summer with these 10 crazy s’mores recipes from Bon Appétit.
7. Never doubt mind over matter again after watching this incredible video.
Have a lovely weekend!
NYC Girl in Pearls