After New York embraced its first heat wave of the summer, this post was inevitable. I swear I was back in the South with the combination of high temperatures, rain and humidity.
Luckily, I’m heading to Boston on Friday for my second wedding of the summer, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a little sweater weather relief. And hopefully a dip in the lake at the Airbnb we’ve rented for the weekend in New Hampshire…
Here are my tips to surviving the heat in style:
- Avoid darker shades – yes, that means black. While this may be a challenge to your New York wardrobe, lighter shades reflect the light rather than absorbing it.
- Remember: your LWD is your best friend…
- Stick to loose fitting clothing. Remember: the easier air travels, the easier it evaporates. Plus, who needs those attractive sweat stains, anyway?
- Choose only natural fibers including cotton, pima cotton, linen and tropical wool. They`re generally better at soaking up moisture and aiding in evaporation. Contrary to popular belief you should avoid silk. Silk, although a natural fiber, tends to repel water rather than absorbing it.
- Carry a water bottle with you – not just to hydrate – but to dab onto your neck/wrists for relief.
- Push off the shoulder tops to the front of your closest. They allow your neck and shoulders to catch a bit of the breeze. Not to mention that they are completely #ontrend this season 😉
- If all fails, jump into an air-conditioned shop and browse for 5-10 minutes to cool down.
- Grabbing a popsicle never hurts, either!
Bring on the heat I say!
Was it just me or did this weekend fly by?
I’m still amazed about how much I was able to fit in (catching up with Caroline at my not-so-secret new favorite spot, Blank Slate Coffee and Kitchen), enjoying a girls night out, celebrating restaurant week with some close friends at Indochine then ending the weekend with a leisurely brunch and stop at Levain Bakery).
Whew. It’s going to be a long Monday 😉 Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!
- Love this Q&A with Grace Coddington. I really hope her memoir is turned into a film!
- The New York Public Library just released 200,000 images you can use for free. Seriously, how cool is this?
- Six simple tips for writing the perfect thank you note.
- Did anyone see the front cover of the Sunday Style Section of the New York Times? If you haven’t seen the Chanel haute couture SS’16 show yet, check it out here.
- I cannot wait to try this five minute vegan banana pudding recipe.
- It’s true: Kate Spade New York has an activewear line.
- Vogue’s 73 Questions series is my absolute favorite. This one featuring Derek Zoolander cracks me up, “sandwiches are a gateway to cake,”