If you were to ask me to write this post just a few years ago, I would have handed you some sunscreen and pointed you to the nearest pool. Growing up in Florida did not prepare me for New York’s bitter winds, unpredictable snowstorms or freezing temperatures. Not even when I was living in Paris around this time last year did the city of lights drop its temperatures to the single digits. Pass the scarf and mittens, please. Now that I’m coming to one year anniversary of living in Manhattan, I’ve collected quite a few tricks to shake the winter blues. Most involve lots and lots of warm tea and an electric blanket, but these few below might be a little more groundbreaking:
- Make an effort to meet up with family and friends, even just for a weekly trivia night or an exercise class (try ClassPass!). If you’re really daring, indulge in some snowy pastimes like skiing or ice skating.
- Drink hot chocolate, guilt-free. You might as well enjoy the perks of the season.
- Take a morning walk and soak up some natural light – anytime between 8a.m. and 12p.m. is best. Natural light promotes overall mental health, as well as increases your Vitamin D levels.
- Bundle up in your favorite style Sorel boots. I’m seriously considering this pair.
- Avoid any last-minute illnesses. Keep a small cosmetic bag (like this one from Kate Spade) full of DayQuil, Puffs tissues, your favorite Yogi tea (try the Kava Stress Relief – my current favorite) and packets of Emergen C.
- Cozy up with friends or hibernate in your bed with a Netflix marathon (always a good idea, any time of the year). My binge-watching picks? House of Cards, Gilmore Girls, Dexter, Gossip Girl, Friends and Revenge.
- Have you tried hot yoga yet? Take a new fitness class with a pal and get your blood flowing. The endorphins are just an added bonus.
- Look toward the future and see what you have/ what you can plan now: a road trip with your boyfriend? A family reunion? That tempting share in the Hamptons? Stay positive and remember that spring is coming. Promise.
P.S. I’m doing a giveaway with P&G that includes a $50 AMEX gift card plus Puffs boxes and Vicks coupons! Make sure to comment or tweet to me at @NYCGirlinPearls about your favorite way to fight the winter blues by using the hashtags #NYTough. xo, Kaitlyn