On this day in 1998, Carrie Bradshaw was born.
Wearing her signature Manolos, she walked right into the hearts of young women everywhere as she tackled modern social issues with an open mind and stylish wardrobe on the streets of Manhattan. Through her six seasons of fictional life adventures (plus two full-length feature films), Bradshaw has become as iconic as the city itself. The cultural phenomenon even still lingers on today as girls continue to question whether they are more of a Charlotte or Samantha. Because everyone is a bit like a Carrie, of course (sorry, Miranda).
Not being an #SATC fan until high school, I cannot imagine the initial effect the show had in the 90’s. I could compare it to the Gossip Girl of my generation style/sex/location-wise, but the comparison stops there. Bradshaw was searching for just the right mixture of love, success and happiness – not the latest scandal to text to an anonymous informant. Maybe Lena Dunham’s Girls is next?
Side note: who misses not having cell phones in sitcoms?
To celebrate the 15th anniversary of HBO’s series Sex & the City, I’ve decided to celebrate by [watching an episode or two and…] picking my top favorite looks that occurred during one of the 94 episodes. And trust me, it was no easy feat.
1. The famous tutu dress from the opening credits. You know when you heard those first notes that you weren’t going anywhere for awhile.
2. Can you imagine wearing a boa on a date? Only Carrie.
3. Bradshaw brought out the modern working woman in this striped suit and unexpected blouse.
4. Alright, so it’s not exactly an outfit, but what’s Carrie without her ‘Carrie necklace’?
5. Bradshaw goes Kennedy while on the campaign tour with her handsome politician circa season 3.
6. Decked out in LA’s finest. I wish I could have found a better image because those two different colored Manolos were fabulous.
7. Carrie goes flapper chic for her book party.
8. Carrie’s Sonia Rykiel stripes on stripes ensemble.
8. That jaw-dropping Versace gown Carrie wore while waiting for her boyfriend in Paris.
9. The happy green number the future Mrs. Preston wore in the first SATC film.
And then, there were some to never be repeated…
What was your favorite outfit featured on the show?
NYC Girl in Pearls
P.s. E! is hosting a Sex and the City marathon today from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. so grab your friends and a few Cosmopolitans for a look back on New York’s favorite single girl heroine.